1. And at the extremities of the earth I beheld twelve gates open for all the winds, from which they proceed and blow over the earth.
2. Three of them are open in the front of heaven, three in the west, three on the right side of heaven, and three on the left. The first three are those which are towards the east, three are towards the north, three behind those which are upon the left, towards the south, and three on the west.
3. From four of them proceed winds of blessing, and of health; and from eight proceed winds of punishment; when they are sent to destroy the earth, and the heaven above it, all its inhabitants, and all which are in the waters, or on dry land.
4. The first of these winds proceeds from the gate termed the eastern, through the first gate on the east, which inclines southwards. From this goes forth destruction, drought, heat, and perdition.
5. From the second gate, the middle one, proceeds equity. There issue from it rain, fruitfulness, health, and dew; and from the third gate northwards, proceed cold and drought.
6. After these proceed the south winds through three principal gates; through their first gate, which inclines eastwards, proceeds a hot wind.
7. But from the middle gate proceed grateful odour, dew, rain, health, and life.
8. From the third gate, which is westwards, proceed dew, rain, blight, and destruction.
9. After these are the winds to the north, which is called the sea. They proceed from three gates. The first gate is that which is on the east, inclining southwards; from this proceed dew, rain, blight, and destruction. From the middle direct gate proceed rain, dew, life, and health. And from the third gate, which is westwards, inclining towards the south, proceed mist, frost, snow, rain, dew, and blight.
10. After these in the fourth quarter are the winds to the west. From the first gate, inclining northwards, proceed dew, rain, frost, cold, snow, and chill; from the middle gate proceed rain, health, and blessing;
11. And from the last gate, which is southwards, proceed drought, destruction, scorching, and perdition.
12. The account of the twelve gates of the four quarters of heaven is ended.
13. All their laws, all their infliction of punishment, and the health produced by them, have I explained to thee, my son Mathusala.